Wednesday, March 21, 2012

General Conference

I was thinking about General Conference just the other day and what it was like in Peoa. What I remember about conference with our family was first coming home from school on Friday's and having it on the Radio as Mom was finishing cleaning the house for the weekend or cooking dinner. Back in those days we had Conference for three days, Friday, Saturday and Sunday. There was a total of 7 sessions with Priesthood.
We listened to as much as we could. We still had to do chores on Saturday with the farm, but had it on all the time if we were by a radio.
During October conference, I remember going up the canyon to get the cattle from being on the range all summer. I remember there were some times when I was waiting at the truck for others to come and would turn the radio on to listen as I waited. It was a beautiful time - the leaves were changing, it was ususally a sunny day.
April - I remember if it rained we would say - "when the saint meet the heavens weep". Some times we had snow never knew what the weather would be.
Sundays, we were required to listen and watch the two sessions. We could do things to keep busy as we set there - crochet, puzzles, etc. When the prophet came on to give the closing address - if we were not in front of the TV, we were called back into the front room to listen.
After Dad became Bishop and Stake President, he ended up going to conference as often as he could. I think the Priesthood leaders were the ones that had the tickets for the ground floor of the tabernacle.

No comments:

Post a Comment